Sunday, May 17, 2009

Aprons

 have been collecting aprons for about 4 years now.. vintage ones.. the ones with character knowing
that it served a purpose at one time... I love watching old movies and to see the women in their aprons and all they did in their aprons..  they went out to garden in the apron and they did all their household chores including sowing in their aprons..  I love aprons.. when I look at an apron I think of strength and I see a hardworker.. someone with integrity and patience and one  who enjoyed life and the simple things like picking apples so she can go in to make a apple pie or sitting on a rocking chair in the hot sun drinking lemonade watching the children play in the yard.. 
 My mother in law emailed me this forward about aprons and I just love the many uses of an apron and wanted to share...
"The principle use of Grandma's apro
n, was to protect the dress underneath, but along with that, it served as a holder for removing hot pans from the oven. It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.  From the chicken-coop the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven. When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy children. And, when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms. Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.  Chips and kindlling wood were brought into the kitchen with that apron.. From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls. In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.  When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds. When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner. It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that "old-time apron," that served so many different purposes."

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love this post! You are such a romantic. It makes me want to start collecting them right away.

Cookie said...

I think you have found your calling and I'm glad I stumbled upon it while in facebook!

Never knew you were a blogger, Shell but I'm going to keep up with you now. I love to blog - and darrell always jokes with me saying in a high pitched voice "dear diary"...

funny thing is, he isn't too far off the mark cuz after all, this is like a 21st century diary without the little padlock and key!

love you ♥